Breathe Biomedical (BBM) is a proud supporter of The White Ribbon Project.
The White Ribbon Project promotes lung cancer awareness and focuses on removing the stigma surrounding this deadly disease. This project is raising awareness that anyone with lungs can get lung cancer. You can learn more about The White Ribbon Project and how to get involved at https://www.thewhiteribbonproject.org/
In November 2021 and 2022, BBM hosted a White Ribbon Project Event for Lung Cancer Awareness Month. At these events community members received ribbons for their contributions to the lung cancer space. As part of the events, attendees heard from lung cancer advocates: Chris Draft, Dave Bjork, Jill Hammer-Wilson and Heather Hogan. White ribbon recipients were able to speak and share their experiences with lung cancer and their goals for the future.
The 2021 White Ribbon Project Event took place on November 18th to spread awareness for lung cancer in our community. We welcomed key stakeholders from our community to speak at the event and receive white ribbons. 2021 White Ribbon Recipients were:
- Blaine Higgs, Premier of New Brunswick
- Arlene Dunn, Minister of Economic Development
- Dorothy Shepard, Minister of Health
- Ginette Petitpas Taylor, MP
- Charles Leblanc, Fire Chief
- Dr. Mahmoud Abdelsalam, Medical Oncologist
- Greg Turner, MLA
- Dawn Arnold, Moncton Mayor
You can watch the 2021 White Ribbon Project Event by clicking here.
In 2022, BBM hosted our second White Ribbon Project Event on November 24th. At the event, 14 Atlantic Canadian lung cancer survivors, researchers, clinicians and stakeholders were honored for their contributions to lung cancer awareness. 2022 White Ribbon Recipients were:
- Dr. Eshwar Kumar, Medical Director for the NB Cancer Network
- Dr. Erik Scheme, Dr. Angkoon Phinyomark, Robin Larracy & Christian Morrell, MLA Team with the University of New Brunswick
- NB Minister of Health, Bruce Fitch
- Dr. Marcel Mallet,, Respirologist at the Moncton Respirology Clinic
- Dr. Farah Naz, Clinical & Academic Head of Oncology, Saint John Regional Hospital (SJRH)
- Dr. Robert Thompson, Radiation Oncologist at SJRH
- Dr. Simon Houston, Respirologist Dalhousie University
- Donna Fairweather, Registered Nurse at SJRH
- Dr. Rodney Ouellette, Senior Researcher and Founder of the Atlantic Cancer Research Institute
- Ian Chute, Manager, Oncology Clinical Trials Group at the Dr. Sheldon H. Rubin Oncology Clinic
- Dr. Robin Urquhart, Associate Professor, Canadian Cancer Society
- Dr. Tony Reiman, Professor, Division of Medical Oncology, Dalhousie
- Dr. Maen Alqdah, Pulmonologist
- Barb Allen, Lung Cancer Survivor
You can watch the 2022 White Ribbon Project Event clicking here.